Green your school competition
Today (Wednesday 24 June) is National Writing Day and in celebration we’re inviting you to enter our competition!
Each ‘green’ action we take is a step closer to limiting human activities that harm the environment and contribute to climate change. To be in with a chance of winning an exciting stationery pack we’re asking you to think about how your school could be more ‘green’ by entering one of the categories below by Wednesday 1 July.
How to enter
Category 1 – Ages 5-11
Design a poster for your school to display that reminds teachers and pupils of all the things they can do around school to help protect the environment and wildlife. Think about making your poster really impactful with bright colours and clear messages. Email your poster to email@example.com.
Category 2 – Ages 12-16
Write a ‘green’ plan for your school. Think about where your school can make improvements in order to be more environmentally friendly. Consider the school building as well as equipment, processes, and staff and pupil behaviours. Email your plan to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some ideas to get you started
- Installing Electric Vehicle charging points can encourage more teachers and parents to drive electric cars
- Installing Solar Panels on your school’s roof makes use of renewable energy over fossil fuels
- Recycling bins in the classrooms, staff rooms, halls, and playgrounds reduces landfill
- Light sensors can turn off lights in rooms that aren’t being used
- Are there ways water use can be reduced?
- How could you use less single-use plastics?
- Can you collect rainwater to water the school plants and grounds?
- Building a pond in the grounds can encourage a diversity of wildlife
- Planting trees in the school grounds can provide shade, wildlife habitats and help to clean the air
- How can you do more to reduce, reuse, recycle?
- How can your school use less electricity?
Terms and Conditions
- Applicants must be aged between 5 and 16 years of age
- Entries must include the applicant’s name, age and school, plus a means of contact (telephone or email) which will only be used in the event that the applicant’s entry is selected to win
- Entries must be submitted by the deadline of Wednesday 1 July 17:00
- Entries must be submitted by email to email@example.com
- The winner of each category will be selected and announced on Thursday 2 July
- The winners will be contacted for the purposes of obtaining a postal address for the prize
- Winners will receive a stationery pack, including Zenergi plush notepad, Zenergi pen and highlighters
- The prize cannot be exchanged for money
- Entries will be shared on Zenergi’s social media channels and website
- This competition is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with The National Literacy Trust